27 August 2007

Banana Yoghurt Cake


One of the other "balls" I am trying to juggle, is to become more frugal. Not living on rice & beans and forgoing all luxuries type frugal.....I guess it's more a quest for a simpler life, living within my means, not using objects to gain peace or fulfillment and wasting less, and THAT is where this cake comes in :-)

DD loves her yoghurt, unfortunately she only loves the more expensive "character" ones. I know it would be cheaper & healthier to make our own, but she is the only one who eats yoghurt, so if I bought the necessary stuff, it would be pretty wasteful if she turned her nose up at it, and I assume she would at this stage.

Anyhow....all these yoghurt packs always come with a flavour she doesn't like much, and I was throwing them out a little too often, so I went on a search of a recipe I could use them in, and found this cake, and it is divine (and DS gets some yoghurt without knowing it lol). It's quite dense, but has a really soft but moist texture....hard to describe...but all who have tasted it love it...and I always lose the recipe, so if I write it here, I'll have it for good!

Ingredients:

  • 125g of butter (or marg)
  • 175g castor sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 very ripe bananas, mashed
  • 200g yoghurt
  • 1 1/3 cups of self raising flour

Method:

  • Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Grease & line your cake tin. (I use a loaf tin)
  • Beat butter & sugar in a bowl with electric beaters until pale & creamy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Fold in the mashed bananas & yoghurt with a large spoon. Sift the flour and fold gently into the wet mixture until just combined.
  • Spoon mixture into prepared pan and bake for 50-60mins until a skewer comes out clean. Remove from oven and let stand for 10mins. Remove from pan and let it cool on a wire rack (or watch it being devoured warm ;-))
  • You can make a cream cheese icing for it, but I'm too lazy.

And sorry about the dodgy photo, lol, probably should have edited it a bit first....but that laziness is kicking in again :-)

K

1 comment:

Dollfinn! said...

Looks Yummy, I will have to convert it to wheat/gluten free and see how it goes. Boo wont be able to eat any cause it has dairy and eggs, but it would be nice to make a relatively easy cake that Moo can actually eat.

Erin!